Let the race begin!

April...cont

So what else did April have to offer.  Well during one weekend Gemma went crazy and registered us both for a very large number of events, challenges and races throughout the year to form some milestones for our training.

he first one came pretty quick, the 12th to be precise and although it wasn't a technical race it did cover 75K, which is a good representation to the distances we could cover on our trip.

Race day came and up at the crack of dawn to get to Dalby Forrest for the registration.  registration went well and before we knew it we were off.
I generally come prepared with tools, spares, food and clothing and today was no exception.  They almost came in handy when we met a man who had somehow ripped off his entire rear mech.  A good botch repair almost worked but it wouldn't last as the damage was terminal, poor fella.
Hitting the feed stations to a feast was a welcome surprise too, with so much on offer I came home with almost everything I took with me.  A lesson learned for the next one.
A good day, despite the rain with a medal waiting for us at the end along with a big ride both of our previous best distance!


Next up was another challenge, but this time a RUN, yes a RUN.  This was with work and fortunately it was both a nice day and not really a run.  It turned out to be a walk / job around a park with the occasional station to get covered in paint.  It was really good fun and we raised and extra £167 to go into the pot for Jane Tomlinson


Last up for this month was another race and this time a proper one.  I hadn't really thought about this as I was mainly doing it to go with my bro in law who is training for an enduro later in the year.

I say I hadn't thought about it, that was until the registration email came that informed me that the current Womens Enduro World Champion was racing (Tracey Moseley if you want to look her up) and suddenly it all got a bit serious.

It was too late to worry now as all of my training was for long distance and not short sharp bursts.  I set my goal to not be last and not to get overtaken.
The day was actually really good, a great atmosphere, everyone friendly and a pretty relaxed ride all through the day.

I think we did get overexcited during practice though and after stage one of the race I got cramp that I couldn't shift.
5 stages in total, a few dicey moments but I finished without getting overtaken and coming about half way through the field.
After chatting on the way home I know feel like I could do much better next time.  No medal this time but I got a pretty professional looking picture!



No comments:

Post a Comment